Not dumb at all. Reptile lighting can be very confusing and the packaging on the pet store bulbs doesn't help!
Just for heating a regular household bulb will do the same thing as the fancy petstore bulbs but at a much cheaper cost. But if you need a heat source at night you don't want one that gives off white light.
It took me a little While to figure it out but heat is heat the get the UVA/UVB for the Reptile lamp Now I buy 100 watt flood lamps for my Wild Child Quazi's room and the other heat lamps are still working fine the one I have in my Rescue Enclosure is a 60 watt CHE heater and a 50 Watt flood bulb I got at Lowe's
I have been using a 100W GE blue flood as a heat source for over a year now, $3 at ACE. I bought a 150W CHE online, $25, and it died after two months.
A tungsten filament incandescent bulb is less than 15% efficient as a light source. The rest of the power, about 85% of the wattage rating, is dissipated as heat.
Everything sold intended for pet use is marked up huge -- heard mentality and general stupidity of the population -- I only buy things that I can’t get otherwise (UV bulbs) form any type of pet supply house.
I'm using a single, 250W, infrared heat lamp for my igs during the day (Keep in mind...large, adult igs, huge, free-access "enclosure", plus iguana-safe apartment for free-roaming). Their bodies are optimized to collect infrared light waves, this is the most-effective way to heat your iguana, but you must be careful with the separation distance between your ig and such a lamp. This lamp also emits visible red light, which WILL also disturb your ig's photo period, he'll sleep better than with a white light but still won't be fully rested in the morning. For this night-time heating, I use an electric blanket and my own body heat (they both sleep with me)...but, keep in mind, iguanas are ALWAYS wild animals, you should never do this unless you have established a 100% trusting bond between you and your igs. Even then, there's never a guarantee. Until you establish that trust, ceramic infrared heaters are great because they emit no visible light.
email address: Enirgerep2005@yahoo.com
"You can have my illegal fireworks when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers...which are...over there somewhere."